Tyrannosaurus rex Brain
Dinosaur brain. T-rex brain is 9 inches / 23 cm. Cretaceous Hell Creek Formation, Montana. Tyrannosaurus rex was one of the largest land carnivores of all time; the largest complete specimen, FMNH PR2081 ("Sue"), measured 12.8 meters (42 feet) long, and was 4.0 meters (13 ft) tall at the hips. Mass estimates have varied widely over the years, from more than 7.2 metric tons (8 short tons), to less than 4.5 metric tons (5 tons), with most modern estimates ranging between 5.4 and 6.8 metric tons (between 6 and 7.5 tons). Although Tyrannosaurus rex was larger than the well known Jurassic theropod Allosaurus, it was slightly smaller than Cretaceous carnivores Spinosaurus and Giganotosaurus.
The neck of T. rex formed a natural S-shaped curve like that of other theropods, but was short and muscular to support the massive head. The forelimbs were long thought to bear only two digits, but there is an unpublished report of a third, vestigial digit in one specimen. In contrast the hind limbs were among the longest in proportion to body size of any theropod. The tail was heavy and long, sometimes containing over forty vertebrae, in order to balance the massive head and torso. To compensate for the immense bulk of the animal, many bones throughout the skeleton were hollow, reducing its weight without significant loss of strength.
The largest known T. rex skulls measure up to 1.5 meters (5 ft) in length. Large fenestrae (openings) in the skull reduced weight and provided areas for muscle attachment, as in all carnivorous theropods. But in other respects Tyrannosaurusï¿½ skull was significantly different from those of large non-tyrannosauroid theropods. It was extremely wide at the rear but had a narrow snout, allowing unusually good binocular vision. The skull bones were massive and the nasals and some other bones were fused, preventing movement between them; but many were pneumatized (contained a "honeycomb" of tiny air spaces) which may have made the bones more flexible as well as lighter. These and other skull-strengthening features are part of the tyrannosaurid trend towards an increasingly powerful bite, which easily surpassed that of all non-tyrannosaurids.  The tip of the upper jaw was U-shaped (most non-tyrannosauroid carnivores had V-shaped upper jaws), which increased the amount of tissue and bone a tyrannosaur could rip out with one bite, although it also increased the stresses on the front teeth.
* The premaxillary teeth at the front of the upper jaw were closely-packed, D-shaped in cross-section, had reinforcing ridges on the rear surface, were incisiform (their tips were chisel-like blades) and curved backwards. The D-shaped cross-section, reinforcing ridges and backwards curve reduced the risk that the teeth would snap when Tyrannosaurus bit and pulled. * The remaining teeth were robust, like "lethal bananas" rather than daggers, more widely spaced and also had reinforcing ridges. Those in the upper jaw were larger than those in all but the rear of the lower jaw. The largest found so far is estimated to have been 30 centimeters (12 in) long including the root when the animal was alive, making it the largest tooth of any carnivorous dinosaur.
When will it be shipped?
This product is in stock and will ship the same business day.
How long will it take to be delivered?
Click here to get estimated delivery date.
I have a question about this product. Can I talk to a real person?
Our experts are standing by to answer your questions 9 am to 5pm Pacific Time. You can email us or call us toll-free at 1-800-970-1128.
10 Reasons Why You will Love Dinosaur Corporation
The fact that we have been in operation for over twenty years is a pointer that you have a lot to gain when you shop at Dinosaur Corporation store. Additional reasons why you will enjoy shopping here are:
- We are a family run business with the firm commitment of providing high end products, professional service and an exceptional shopping experience.
- To date we have satisfactorily served over 50,000 customers promising you the right expertise.
- You get to pick fabulous merchandise from our stock with a selection of over 3,000 educational dinosaur products.
- If you are buying gift items you will receive a FREE dinosaur card with gift messaging with your package.
- When your order is received it will be shipped from our warehouse within 24 hours.
- There is a selection of shipping options that include UPS Ground, 2-3 Days USPS in addition to Next Day Air Delivery.
- You can have your purchase shipped to any part of the world including Military APOs and FPOs.
- Since we use 128-bit SSL security, you can securely complete transactions on our website.
- You are also guaranteed a secure and safe transaction as our site is tested and certified on a day to day basis.
- You can expect prompt feedback when you use the toll free customer support number 1-800-970-1128.