Trilophodon angustidens by Zdenek Burian
The genus emigrated into Asia, Europe and Africa after a drop in sea level (probably during the Tortonian epoch) allowed them to cross over. It survived into the Pliocene, and its remains have been found in France, Germany, Austria, Kansas, Tennessee, Pakistan and Kenya. Gomphotherium angustidens skeleton.
Gomphotherium, also known by synonyms such as Gomphotherium, Tetrabelodon, or Serridentinus, stood around 3 metres (9.8 ft) high, and bore a strong resemblance to a modern elephant. However, it had four tusks; two on the upper jaw and two on the elongated lower jaw. The lower tusks are parallel and shaped like a shovel and were probably used as such. Unlike modern elephants, the upper tusks were covered by a layer of enamel. Compared to elephants, the skull was more elongated and low, indicating that the animal had a short trunk, rather like a tapir's. These animals probably lived in swamps or near lakes, using their tusks to dig or scrape up aquatic vegetation. In comparison to earlier proboscids, Gomphotherium had far fewer molars; the remaining ones had high ridges to expand their grinding surface. Gomphotherium inhabited dry wedded regions near lakes.
A complete skeleton of Trilophodon has been found at Mïhldorf, Germany, in 1971.
• Original Art by Czech Paleo-Artist Zdenek Burian.
• Copyright Zdenek Burian-Heirs. All rights reserved.
Contact us by e-mail to obtain permission for educational and commercial usage of this image: email@example.com © Copyright Dinosaur Corporation, USA. All rights reserved TM
Dinosaur Corporation™ is representing Zdenek Burian paleo-art worldwide.
Because Fun and Learning Can Go Together: 11 Reasons To Shop With Dinosaur Corporation ©We’ve been in the business of dinosaurs for more than 20 years. In a world of velociraptors selling dubious products some call “kid toys,” we offer something different for children of all ages: high quality products that educate as well as entertain. From our valued customers, here are some other reasons we’re your headquarters for all things prehistoric:
1. Dinosaur Corporation is dedicated to providing high end products, professional service and an exceptional shopping experience for all our customers, every single time.
2. To date, we’re the official dinosaur den for more than 54,000 happy customers with our varied selection of products for kids of all ages.
3. We offer only fabulous merchandise with a selection of over 3,000 educational dinosaur products. From cute dinosaur shoes for toddlers to educational skeleton kits for middle schoolers, we have it all.
4. If you are buying gift items you will receive a FREE dinosaur card with gift messaging with your package. Sign it from your child’s favorite T-Rex!
5. We offer a FREE dinosaur gift with every purchase of $65, $135, or $195.
6. When your order is received it will be shipped from our warehouse within 24 hours.
7. We offer a selection of shipping options that include 4-6 Days UPS Ground, 2-3 Days USPS in addition to Next Day Air Delivery.
8. We appreciate the U.S. Military! You can have your purchase shipped to any part of the world, including Military APOs and FPOs.
9. Since we use 256-bit SSL security, you can securely complete transactions on our website. Even Triceratops don’t like getting hacked!
10. You are also guaranteed a secure and safe transaction as our site is tested and certified on a day to day basis.
11. You can expect prompt feedback when you use the toll free customer support number 1-800-970-1128. Get in touch. We’d love to hear from you!
You can make payment via American Express, Visa, PayPal and MasterCard. In addition, we accept mail, fax and phone. Educational institutions’ Purchase Orders are welcome. Our Fax: 360-835-7188.